Taco Meal Prep
Looking for a quick and easy meal prep idea? This is one of my go to recipes. I love it because you can personalize it for your own tastes and preferences, and it packs a lot of veggies and protein into a one skillet dish! This recipe utilizes canned items (which can be great and just as nutritious- go low sodium) as well as fresh produce. Lots of protein and a variety of vegetables make this recipe a keeper! I typically get 4-5 servings from this recipe.
- 1 pound of your preferred ground meat (I prefer to use ground turkey that is at least 93% lean for maximum protein value)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans (go low sodium!)
- 1 can (10 oz usually) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Olive oil/cooking spray
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (again, go low sodium!)
- Optional additions:
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Sour cream/cheese
- Cilantro and lime
1. Heat a large cooking skillet over medium high heat with a little cooking spray or olive oil
2. Add in your ground meat to the pan. Use a large cooking spoon to cut the meat into chunks
3. As the meat begins to cook, dice up your bell peppers and red onion. Add them to the pan.
4. Cook until the meat is browned and cooked through. If a lot of fat has cooked off, drain it. Add about 1/2-3/4 cup of water (enough to rehydrate the meat and to give the seasoning something to incorporate with) to the pot as well as the packet of taco seasoning. Stir well.
5. Add the black beans (make sure to drain first) and tomatoes to the pot. Stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to medium low and place a lid on the pan. Cook until everything is heated through and incorporated
6. You are ready to eat! My favorite way to eat this recipe is on a corn tortilla topped with fresh jalapeno and cilantro