Note: This only applies to campus programs. Administrative & Staff programs differ.
How It Works
Best Food Forward works through the principle of bulk-buying, where we can achieve low prices on mass quantities of product by connecting many buyers of similar products. We've broken down the process into three easy steps below, and included an FAQ section.
Step 1 - You Order
Two weeks leading up to the next Bulk Buy
The first step of the bulk-buying process is to find a group of buyers that are willing to collectively agree to buy the same products in order to achieve a high level of cost savings. Buyers vote on what they prefer, and have a democratic say in what is included in the packages.
You can start this process by ordering a package, and we accumulate other buyers into the same order as the two week ordering period unfolds.
Step 2 - We Order
The Thursday before the Bulk Buy
After a group of buyers (you) has submitted their purchases, our logistics team takes the next step of contacting our supplier for a quote on current produce options. Our current supplier is DNO Produce, a local Columbus business.
The logistics team consolidates the votes submitted by the buyers, and constructs a package with roughly $6 worth of produce at bulk-prices in the most valuable and effective manor. Then, the team submits the necessary quantities of produce to the supplier, and the supplier delivers to Scott House on Saturday morning.
Step 3 - You Pick Up
Bulk Buy Day
Our team wakes up early on Saturday mornings to prepare for the supplier to deliver our produce, which we count and determine final quantities for each package based on actual quantities received. In addition, we sometimes cook brunch and set up community events leading up to the pick-up window.
After that, we wait for the buyers to come to Scott House and claim their packages, where we have a team member staged to check you in and guide you through the process. We ask that you bring a reusable bag in the interest of further cost savings and to prevent disposable bag waste.
We also provide dry goods, such as rice and spices, for sale on the day of the Bulk Buy. We ask that you bring your own container to store these in, but we do have bags available if necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don't live on campus anymore, can I still get into Scott House?
- Yes, the office assistant will gladly let you into the building and direct you to the Bulk Buy, which is at the kitchen area of Scott House (take the stairs up once you get into the building).
- Can you hold items beyond the pick-up window?
- We are unable to hold items beyond the pick-up window. All food that is not picked up will be donated to a food recovery network, so no food is wasted.
- Can I have a friend pick my order up for me?
- Yes, please forward your order confirmation email to your friend and have them say that they are picking up on your behalf.
- I'm not receiving any of your emails, what should I do?
- Please check your spam folder for firstname.lastname@example.org. If that does not work, please reach out to us using the form below.
- Can I pay with cash?
- At this time, we are unable to accept cash for orders. If you are in a circumstance where you can only provide cash to pay for your order, please fill out the form below and we can arrange a solution.
- Can I receive a refund or cancel my order?
- You can receive a refund for your order up until the Thursday before the Bulk Buy, which is when the order is placed and sales are final.